Colt Commando .38 Special Revolver
WWII Alabama National Guard
Paul's Gun Room was fortunate to acquire all of the remaining Alabama Colt Commando Revolvers from the Alabama Military Hall of Honor, which is a small museum associated with the Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL. Each Commando purchased includes a letter reflecting the serial number, complete description, and history of the revolver. A FFL is required, C&R will be accepted if it is legal in your state/city. We will ship to California (no C&R).
These unissued and unfired Commandos are in the orginal factory dull military finish with Colt Wood brown plastic grips. They show light edge wear and marks from being stored loose unboxed together with other Commandos. The pictures are a composite of five or six revovlers representing an average example of condition. They all show zero sign of being loaded, fired or issued. The upper left frame is marked with the inspector stamp GHD over an ordance bomb. The top barrel is marked "COLT'S PT. FA. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A., PAT'D. AUG. 5. 1884. JULY 4, 1905. OCT, 5, 1926." The left side of the barrel is marked COLT COMMANDO over .38 SPECIAL. The lower left side frame at the forward trigger guard junction is marked with the Colt triangular verified proof mark.
These US marked Colt Commandos Revolvers were donated by the Alabama National Guard to the Marion Military Insitute in March of 2011. The background of these guns is quite interesting. Early in WWII, United States Army Ordnance withdrew the .45 automatic pistols which were in the possession of the Alabama National Guard. The Guard then ordered through Ordnance a replacement, The Colt Commando .38 Special Revovler. As luck would have it, The U.S. Army reissued the Alabama National Guard with .45 Automatic Pistols before the replacement Colt Commandos arrived. When the replacement Commandoes arrived they were placed in storage, never issued and never fired. We do not know the exact number of revolvers which were in the replacment order but they remained in storage from 1943 to March of 2011. For 68 years, the great majority of these replacment revovlers sat silently in the Alabama National Guard Storage.